Saturday, January 12, 2008

"Total Constant Order" by Crissa-Jean Chappell

I enjoyed this book. A lot. Fin, the main character who is diagnosed with OCD and immediately put on a mind numbing drug, is both believable and likeable. I really felt for her as she dealt with school and her illness. Hell, being 14 is hard enough with out adding the fact that she couldn’t stop counting. Or washing her hands. When Fin becomes friends with Thayer things start to even out for her. But Thayer has his own problems.
The writing style the author uses compliments the story and the confusion that is constant in Fin’s head. The author jumps from topic to topic, present to past and sometimes it takes the reader, or at least me, a second to catch up with her. While I wouldn’t suggest this as a guide book to OCD and the problems of some anti-depressants, it did give a good over all view of the problems surrounding both. An overall enjoyable book, I would definitely recommend it. I also think this would be an excellent book to teach in schools. There are several topical issues in the novel (depression, divorce, drugs, bullying) and I think it could be a great conduit for discussion.

1 comment:

Heather said...

This book is in my soon to read pile. I'm glad to see your comments. I think this will be a very helpful read with respect to the teens that are in my life.