Friday, December 21, 2007

"The Rick Mercer Report: The Book" by Rick Mercer

Okay, I love Rick Mercer. Love him. I think he is the best political commentator out there. Period. So of course I had high expectations when I picked up Rick Mercer Report The Book. Would his rants be as funny in print? Would it just seem like a rehashing of comments I had already heard? From the first page this book had me captivated and laughing my behind off. I’m not a big fan of politics and I don’t always pay close attention to what is going on in the political world. Part of the appeal of Rick Mercer, and this book, is that he states plainly what’s what and helps those of us who aren’t that politically savvy feel like we have a bit more of an understanding of our Canadian politicians.
The rants and thoughts that found there way into the book weren’t all laugh out loud funny. Some, such as a rant about the Harper government not wanting to lower the flag on Peace Tower at half mast for the death of soldiers overseas were poignant and quite a few times I found myself shaking my head at some of the decisions that our government has made.
This book was an easy read and once I started it, I couldn’t put it down (I actually stayed up until 4 in the morning reading it). And I know that I will from time to time pick it up and read it again. I think the book could have been 1,000 pages and I still would have finished it wanting more.
If you are looking for a funny, honest and sometimes maddening look into Canada and Canadian politics, Rick Mercer Report The Book is definitely the right choice and I highly recommend it.

No comments: