Friday, December 21, 2007

"Our Lady of the Lost and Found" by Diane Schoemperlen

This book is one of my favorite reads of 2007. I feel that it is going to have an effect on my life(something I don't say lightly) although, how I'm not quite sure yet. It made me think of religion, faith, love and having a sense of being. In short it was an amazing read.
The narrator tells the story of the week the Virgin Mary stayed with her. Interspersed with the telling of her time with Mary, the author gives us a brief background on the Virgin, concentrating on the various sightings and miracles attributed to Mary. I am not a religious person, but these chapters were fascinating and I know that I will be doing more reading about Mary in teh near future. Towards the end of the book, we get the narrator's life story which is an awakening for her and is, at times, familiar and heartbreaking to read.
I would definitely recommend this book and look forward to reading more from this author.

No comments: