Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Marked by PC Cast and Kristin Cast St. Martin’s Griffin

Sixteen year old Zoey Redbird is having a bad day. She has been marked as a fledgling vampyre and as a result has to leave behind everything she knows to move into the House of Night, a sort of private training school for vampyres. Once there she makes friends, and enemies, and discoveres she has unbelievable powers and may very well be the strongest vampyre, ever. She also struggles with the fact that not everyone makes it through the Change.

I found the writing in the first few pages a bit choppy, but after that I really enjoyed this book, devouring in a night. Geared toward teens, this adult still thought it was a well written story with a solid plot. Part of a series, I am about to start the second book, Betrayed.

I only had two issues with Marked. The first one is the extensive sexual content that I feel may not be appropriate for the age group that this book is geared towards. This would have been the type of book I gravitated towards at eleven and I don’t think that someone that age should be reading about some of the sexual stuff that takes place in the halls of the House of Night.

My second issue may very well take care of itself in the second book, but right now, I ‘m pretty sure I have the big twist figured out, and that’s a bit disappointing for me. I appreciate a good twist and turn in a book, and just because this is a teen book doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t contain mysteries that are hard to figure out.

Over all, though, I did really enjoy this book and I look forward to reading others in the series.

No comments: